Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sunday Bicycle Ride

I awoke this morning and thought I had overslept going to Unity. Fortunately, I misread my watch and saw that it was 9 and not 12, go figure. Anyway, on my bicycle I leaped and away I went. I was cruising coast highway when this mountain bike (all purpose) passes me. Not to be denied I stepped it up a notch and passed him. I glance at the rider and recognize him as a passenger I drove for two nights ago. So now I'm out in front and WHOOSH, he scoops me. I bide my time until a slight downhill appears and I turn it on. SCOOPED HIM BIG TIME......so long punkster! Damned if he didn't scoop me on a slight uphill climb, but I faked it and acted like I had reverted to cruise control and I was just out for a fresh air ride. I guess this explains that stealth not strength is what oldsters do best.

Speaking of bike rides. Man, did I ever revert to young and insane.......I mean, it couldn't be brushed off as a senior moment. I've got the Marines Corps running cadence CD blasting away into my eardrums, jacked up from coffee and exercise and then the rush of Megan's phone call. This resulted in a downhill charge that made me quiver. I had cut in front of a truck because I was just plain out speeding him, then the next car was slowing down for an off set zig zag designed to slow cars down. I took the opposite side and flew by them and cut back to the right entering a ten degree curve at around 35 mph. I couldn't hit the brakes or I would have lost it so I just leaned over to the left and let tire traction do the work. Not over with craziness I went opposite side again sailed by another car. By this time the Marines were "fussin' and a fightin' yada yada yada and I made it to the four-way stop intersection at 20 mph and pedaled through a left hand turn in top gear. YES, way to go Gramps. Now this was clearly not a controlled moment, this was absolute insanity, but I must admit that it rocked. In retrospect I will never do that again......unless there's a really slow ugly car, maybe then...............I'll have to cogitate a tad more :-)

1 comment:

Megan said...

Very well written, but also quite stupid. Avery does not approve! :)