Last night Joy and I sat down with hot tea and crumpets to watch a DVD, The Kite Runner. We didn't realize it came with captions. We're fuming and grumbling about the film makers not being smart enough to put the captions on a white background so we could read the damned words. I cursed their artistic attitude. Finally I started pausing the movie so we could figure out the sentences. It worked fairly well, but even with this improvisation it was still difficult . I told Joy I was going to bed. She sighed and said she would probably do the same.
"You may as well send it back," she said.
I told her, "No, I'll get up later and struggle through this stop and start business."
Tonight with Joy already in bed I decided to labor through the movie, my finger was on the pause button, ready to react to indecipherable words camouflaged at the bottom of the screen. I went through twenty minutes of straight viewing time without pausing at all........what gives? The lines were easily readable; why all of a sudden was there no problem and yet last night we possessed the visual capabilities of a near sighted rhinoceros?
Last night we were on the couch, but tonight I was cozy and snug in an easy chair five feet from the screen.....now the sentences were so easy to read!
Joy will be pleased to know that we don't have complain about the artsy film makers, but just sit closer to the screen......sometimes simple things can give the greatest pleasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment